Where was that purchase requisition for 2005?
I’ve finally cracked the installation problems with VS 2003 SP1 on Vista. The problem seems to be that the SP must be installed under the same credentials that Visual Studio was installed. I.e. I installed Visual Studio under the domain administrator credentials, but I run my day-to-day under a standard user credential. When installing the SP1 I was elevating my standard user credential rather than running as the domain admin. I don’t know what difference that makes to anything, but it’s worked!
Where was that purchase requisition for 2005?
I’ve recently had to upgrade my VM Server due to an increase in load. I had 2 virtual servers running off of the same hard disk, with 768mb of RAM split between the lot. After jamming 2 new 1GB sticks of DDR in, and a new 120GB hard drive it was time to re-allocate some of these resources…here’s how:
WARNING! You should always perform a backup on a server you can’t afford to lose BEFORE any operation that could potentially destroy the disk (think what would happen if you had a power cut while resizing…)
Step 1 - Moving the Virtual Server.
This is laughably easy;
Step 2 - Resizing the VMWare Disk
Not quite so easy, but still not going to bother most.
That’s it - when you boot to your new machine you should have a nice big space to play with. One of the benefits of now having a 3 disks is being able to run each VM on a separate physical disk, which gives a nice performance boost. If you’ve got a spare disk hanging around you could always create an extra virtual disk, attach it and use it as a swap disk for your VM giving another performance boost.
I’m not going to go into the rights and wrongs of DRM, I will say that I’m strongly against piracy and if your intention is to strip DRM for those kind of reasons, kindly go somewhere else for your info. If you’re wanting to strip DRM for a legitimate personal use, such as playing in another media player or an MP3 player other than an iPod - read on!
QuickTimeFairUse is a great little application that takes your .m4p protected iTunes files and captures the decrypted data directly from the memory of your computer. This means that there’s no loss of quality at all from the process! The captured AAC data is then re-compressed into an .m4a unprotected file. That’s not the only benefit either, QTFairUse will also modify your iTunes library to point to the new .m4a file - including keeping all the metadata, album art and play information, so if you’re like me and have dynamic playlists generated by most played or five star rated it will keep them happy! It will back up your .m4p files and library too, so if something goes wrong you can easily revert back - not that I’ve ever had to. It’s also faster than real-time, it takes 5-15 seconds per song on my laptop with plenty of RAM.
The current download version does not support iTunes 7.2.0 (the latest one) so you’ll need to open the config file QTFairUse6.cfg and add the following to the end:
Once you’ve done that, run QTFairUse.exe and select the options that you require. You can scan your entire library or drag and drop files into the window. I don’t change any of the default settings because, well they’re great. The only thing I change is the location of the backup to a folder in My Music called M4P Backup.
Just a quick post today about trust levels for .NET assemblies that are hosted remotely. My current set up at work means that I am maintaining one version of our web site while working on developing a new one - not uncommon. I have 2 virtual servers running Server 2003, IIS and SQL Server, each an identical copy of our production server. Each solution and it’s projects are stored on each virtual server, with the project folders shared and mapped as drives on my laptop. (Before I get messages saying “why don’t you use source control, you can create branches etc, etc” - I am aware of that and the decision not to use source control is based on other factors that I’m not going to get into.)
Anyhow, on to the problem and, the solution.
When opening a Visual Studio solution from a mapped or network location, you get a “project location not trusted” error. By default, your .NET configuration grants FULL trust to your local machine, so you won’t get that message working on a local project. Also by default, the Local Intranet is given a step below full trust - and here is the problem. You will need to be a local administrator on your computer to make these changes.
Open a command prompt, navigate to:
Run the following command:
or, for an unmapped folder
This will set the share to full trust and allow you to work with the remote folder/mapped drive as if it’s on your local machine.
For more details about using CasPol.exe and a break down of the above commands, check out the .NET Security Blog
If, like me, you want to administrate your Windows 2003 servers from your Vista workstation, you may find that you recieve an “MMC could not create snap in” error when you open one of the admin tools, it also manifests as corrupted graphics within some MMC Add-ins.
It appears that the dlls are not registered correctly, there’s a KB article from Microsoft that contains a script to reregister the dlls. It’s a simple fix:
Simple as that. Some people find that the admin tool shortcuts aren’t installed under administrative tools, that didn’t happen to me, but you can either reinstall the tools or manually create the shortcuts by opening a new MMC window (Start > Run > mmc) and then adding the relevant snap-in. You can then save your console and create a shortcut wherever you desire.