DefinIT Because if IT were easy, everyone would do it…

22May/080

Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007 remove categories from emails, tasks, calendar etc.

Posted by Sam McGeown

It seems that the nice people at Microsoft were looking out for us, lest the evil people in the world see how we categorise our email, and decided to strip away any category information from sent and received objects by default. Sure, I understand if you were categorising emails from someone as "sneaky git" or "numbnuts" then you might not be too happy about sending those out...but really it should be your choice right?

Did you know, for example, that In your Outlook 2007 rules there is a sneaky little enabled by default rule that clears the categories?

DefaultRuleOL2007

Removing that is an obvious first step!

The next step involves editing the registry, so make sure you know what you are doing before editing, always back the registry up first

There are also some registry keys you'll need to add, so open up Regedit and in HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences, create DWORD keys SendPersonalCategories and AcceptCategories with values of 1. You'll need to restart Outlook for them to apply.

Finally, as per this TechNet article,  log on to your Exchange server as an Exchange Organisation Administrator and run the following command in the Exchange Management Shell

Set-TransportConfig -ClearCategories $False

You should be able to send and receive emails, appointments, tasks and any other Exchange object that supports categories, complete with category intact.

20May/082

VMWare Server 2 Beta fails to connect to virtual machine with “Error opening the remote virtual machine [machine] The host name could not be resolved.”

Posted by Sam McGeown

I've just upgraded my VMWare Server install to the latest version of the VMWare Server beta, which I have to say, is looking pretty good! One slight niggle that I had was that when I opened the VMWare Remote Console it would tell me that I could not connect, with the error:

Error opening the remote virtual machine SM-00109:8333\16:  The host name could not be resolved.

Clearly THAT's a pain in the proverbial. A quick trawl through VMWare's forums reveals two solutions, one that is clunky and stupid, the other that works. For brevity, the one that works is...

Use the fully qualified domain name of the computer to connect to the VMWare console, so for me, that mean using:

https://SM-00109.domain.dom:8333

instead of

https://SM-00109:8333

Simple!

Tagged as: 2 Comments
12May/081

Code syntax highlighting in BlogEngine.Net

Posted by Sam McGeown

I've just added some code syntax highlighting to this blog using SyntaxHighlighter and a great how-to article by Scott Dougherty this means that any code I post should look like this:

public static string SayHello(string name){    return String.Format("Hello, {0}!", name);}

There are a few bugs at the moment, one being that tiny_mce is stripping linebreaks from the code posting (just a minor one) and the theme somehow removes the line numbers, but I'm sure I'll find a way around them...somehow.

Tagged as: 1 Comment
9May/081

Posting to BlogEngine using Windows Live Writer

Posted by Sam McGeown

One of my unpublished gripes with the DotNetNuke blog was that it was a pain to make work with WLW. One of the cool things with BE.Net is that it does work with WLW, not only that but it works well. Setup was a breeze and within 2 minutes I'm now writing my first post, including tags and categories (hit F2 if you're trying to do that in WLW).

Now this is cool! :)

9May/085

Force BlogEngine.Net to update its cache after an import

Posted by Sam McGeown

Well my first real post on BlogEngine.Net is...about BlogEngine.Net!

After running the import program from my old DotNetNuke blog I found that the importer had worked, but that the blog entries had not shown up. This was because the cache that BE.Net uses for the XML data files. Since I'm on a shared hosting I couldn't just run an IISReset.exe, so I obviously needed a work around, and here it is:

  1.  Open default.aspx.cs in Visual Studio (or just a text editor)
  2. Add the following to the Page_Load function:

    BlogEngine.Core.Post.Reload();

  3. Save and upload default.aspx.cs, refresh your blog.

Et voila, posts will appear. Phew.

Tagged as: 5 Comments
Page 1 of 212