While using the New-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1 script to create a test user for Exchange 2010’s connectivity testing, I ran into an issue:
CreateTestUser : Mailbox could not be created. Verify that OU ( Users ) exists and that password meets complexity requirements. At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts\new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1:255 char:27 + $result = CreateTestUser <<<< $exchangeServer $mailboxServer $securePassword $OrganizationalUnit $UMDialPlan $UMExtension $Prompt + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,CreateTestUser
Oddly enough, that OU does exist (as it will by default on any Windows Domain!) and the password complexity more than satisfied the complexity requirements. The issue is simple enough to fix, I opened the script in notepad and found the line beginning “new-mailbox” – and deleted the parameter “–OrgainisationalUnit:$OrganistationalUnit”. This means the new user defaults to the default OU – Users!
Just a simple fix to save some time! Thanks MS for the buggy script!
Update: Looks like this occurs when there’s more than one OU called Users – my fix will still sort it, but at least you know!