Posts in this series
Disclaimer! I am learning NSX-T, part of my learning is to deploy in my lab – if I contradict the official docs then go with the docs!
Moving on from the first two articles, my NSX-T lab pod is now configured with three ESXi hosts, a vCenter Server, NSX Manager and an NSX Controller cluster
In this post I will walk through manually installing the NSX VIBs on my ESXi hosts.
I will follow the deployment plan from the installation document:
- Install NSX Manager.
- Install NSX Controllers.
- Join NSX Controllers with the management plane.
- Initialize the control cluster to create a master controller.
- Join NSX Controllers into a control cluster.
- Join hypervisor hosts with the management plane.
- Install NSX Edges.
- Join NSX Edges with the management plane.
- Create transport zones and transport nodes.
Preparing ESXi Hosts
With ESXi hosts you can prepare them for NSX by using the “Compute Manager” construct to add a vCenter server, and then prepare the hosts automatically, or you can manually add the hosts. Since this is a learning exercise, I am going to manually install the VIBs because I think it gives a good understanding of how the automatic process works in the background.
To manually install the NSX VIBs, download the nsx-lcp* package from My VMware and copy it to the /tmp folder on each ESXi host. The VIB installation is exactly the same as any other VIB installation
- Log onto the ESXi host via SSH using the root credentials
- Use “esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/nsx-lcp-220.127.116.11.0.6522150-esx65.zip“
- Once the VIBs are successfully installed, use “nsxcli” to enter the NSX command context
- Join the ESXi host to the management plane using “join management-plane <NSX Manager> username admin thumbprint <API Thumbprint>“. Enter the admin password when prompted
- Validate the host is connected to the management plane using “get managers“
In the NSX Manager web interface, you can see the host appears in the Fabric section. Here you can see I’ve prepared my three nested hosts, you can see NSX is installed, it’s at version 2.0 and connectivity with the Manager is up. As we’re not yet participating in a transport zone, there is no active connection to the Controller cluster and Transport node is not configured.