vRealize Orchestrator (vRO/vCO) – Troubleshooting SOAP operations
Recently, I’ve had a bit of a SOAP baptism of fire – the project I am working on makes hundreds of SOAP calls to multiple SOAP APIs on multiple hosts. During this time I’ve encountered some common and rare problems and troubleshooting them seems to be a bit of a black art, if the number of results in Google is any measure.
To demonstrate some of these troubleshooting methods I will use a global weather SOAP service, http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx?WSDL. I’ve added the web service to vRO using the “Add a SOAP host” workflow, and then used the “Generate a new workflow from a SOAP operation” workflow to create a new workflow: GetWeather. This simple workflow runs successfully:
Generating a secure random password with vRealize Orchestrator (vRO/vCO)
It’s a fairly common requirement when creating a new user to assign a randomly generated password, so during a recent engagement I wrote a little password generator to do that. I wanted to be able to chose whether special characters were used, and the length of the password – typically if the password doesn’t used special characters I would increase the length significantly!
Characters should be randomly picked from:
- (optional) ASCII special characters